Millinocket Library History
- millinockethistsoc
- 3 days ago
- 2 min read
The Millinocket Memorial library became a reality in 1919 when the town voted to raise $2,500.00 “to establish a free library to be dedicated to the memory of those who had died for their country.” In addition, Great Northern Paper Company added $1000.00 and Emma Schenck, wife of Garrett Schenck, GNP president, added $200.00. Local individuals donated numerous books for this first library. The library was located in the Gonya Block next to the Corner Drug Store and faced Central Street. This memorial library opened on Armistice Day, November 11, 1919, and Mrs. Mae Shorey was the first librarian. A bronze plaque honoring the town’s war heroes was placed in the library at its dedication.
The 1921 town report has the following library information from then Librarian Kathleen Snow. The complete collection had been cataloged, and the number of registered borrowers was 1300, however, the librarian stated that that number was less than 1/3 of the town’s population. The report mentions that there were plans to start a collection of foreign language books due to the population diversity at that time.
The number of books borrowed had increased over the previous year with the children being avid readers. She stated it was “not uncommon for a 10-15 year-old boy to read a book every other day and often one a day.” The visits by children were being encouraged by the Teacher’s Club of Millinocket for “proper care and regard of a book.” Also, each classroom had a “book etiquette” suggestion list posted in each classroom. The librarian would also be visiting the upper grade classrooms and the high school classes to discuss the use of reference books. Plans were made to have a storyteller each Saturday with stories for children…the schools would announce the date. On Sundays, the library would be open for an hour or two giving people a chance to “catch up on their reading.”
The librarian’s report concluded, “It was difficult keeping up with the demand,” and the adult rate of book checking out “was encouraging.”
A big change occurred in the 1960’s when the Great Northern Hotel was torn down and the lot was given to the town for public use. The new Millinocket Memorial Library building was constructed there at the intersection of Maine Avenue and Hill Street. The opening and dedication ceremonies were held on December 11, 1963, and the new library had space not only for books, but also reading rooms, a lower-level children’s room, a reference room, multi-use space as well as office and work space for staff. Further changes have been added since and many public programs and other services are now offered.





Comments