Searching one’s family tree continues to be one of the most popular hobbies in the United States. The museum frequently gets asked to assist with someone’s search. The Research/Genealogy Room has quite a bit of local material for people to look at. Recently, the Millinocket Memorial Library donated several books that might be useful to our visitors. The donated books, listed below, are focused on information mostly from New England and the Maritime Provinces and Quebec and from the 1700-1800s. Some contain specific data on persons and some are indexes to other sources available at such places as the Bangor Public Library and Maine State Library. I personally referred to some of these same books in past years at those libraries (before computers and sites like Ancestry.com).
1. The Famine Immigrants, Vol.1, Jan. 1846-June 1847;
2. Maine Families in 1870 (Maine Genealogical Society) (2 volumes);
3. New England Marriages Prior to 1700 (Torrey);
4. Index of Persons (New England Historical & Gen. Register) (3 vol.);
5. Index of Subjects & Places & Index (Vol. 51-112) (N Eng Hist & Gen Register);
6. Genealogical Dictionary of Maine & New Hampshire (Noyes, Libby, Davis);
7. Genealogical Register of the First Settlers of New England (Farmer);
8. American Passenger & Arrival Records (Tepper) (has a few lists);
9. Nova Scotia Vital Statistics, 1852-1854;
10. Researching Your Ancestors in New Brunswick, Canada;
11. Genealogical Handbook for Atlantic Canada;
12. Dictionary of Families of Quebec, 1730.
*** Please go to www.bangor.com/cmm and do a write-in vote for Millinocket Historical Society in the Aroostook/Northern Penobscot/Piscataquis section. The Bangor Savings Bank provides this chance for people to vote in their Community Matters More program through the month of February as a way to help non-profits. With your help, MHS has a chance to win up to $5000 if we can get enough votes. Voters must reside in Maine or New Hampshire (if you do not, maybe ask friends who do to vote for MHS). Voting is simple and the rules are on the site. Thank you!
Museum open Thursday, Friday, Saturday Noon-3PM, weather permitting!
In the Museum Store!
*** 2021 Calendars still available! Theme: Millinocket, Oh! How We’ve Changed! $12 each, mail orders add $5 SH each calendar. *** Preowned yearbooks - $10.00 each.
*** Matted photos, various prices – GNP mill, Little Italy, river drives, Mt. Katahdin.
*** DVD’s, Little Italy Part 1 and Part 2 available at the museum ($15 each) or mail order ($15 each).
***Books: “Within Katahdin’s Realm, Log Drives and Sporting Camps” (Bill Geller) $30.00; “Logging Towboats & Boom Jumpers” (Moody) $18.00; “Tanglefoot,” (Edwards) $15.00; “Millinocket” (D. Duplisea) $20.00; “A Little Taste of History” cookbooks - $15.00; both Laverty books, $25 history & $10 architecture; “Our Real World,” (M. Murphy); “No Time for Moss (McKeen) $15.00 and several preowned books (out of print) by local authors.
*** All items may be mailed – add $5 SH each item.
.*** For information, groups or appointments, contact Curator Trudy Wyman, 723-5477 or email@example.com or the Millinocket Historical Society, P. O. Box 11, on the web at www.millinockethistoricalsociety.org or on Facebook.