Carl Hull was the librarian at the Millinocket Memorial Library at one time. At some point he undertook the project of cutting out and gluing into three brown scrapbooks “all items in the Daily News” that pertained to the happenings in Millinocket. The print is tiny, the articles are crowded together on each page of the three books and each date’s entry includes all the news run together as if it were one story…obits, birthday parties, organizations events, sports and more. The three scrapbooks cover the years 1921-1928. The scrapbooks are at the museum, have been scanned and are computer searchable (thank you Leola and Frank)!
The library is often mentioned and there are a number of informational bits about children’s story time. In February of 1923, Mrs. Weldon was the new storyteller. In the two Saturdays prior to the news article, an average of 50 children were “entertained and kept interested.” Another mention from 1926 states “the library will be open on New Year’s Day from 10-11 o’clock in the morning for the first Children’s Story Hour. Mrs. Evans will tell two stories, Fairy New Year’s Bracelet and a Kipling tale, The White Seal.” In January of 1927, Mrs. Ewings will share the story Jackanapes and a tale from Shakespeare. (Note the discrepancy … 1923 Mrs. Weldon the new storyteller and 1926 Mrs. Evans the first Children’s Story Hour.
Other library mentions…“Library will be open Sunday from 2-4 and time will be given to reading. No books to be returned or taken out. Time given to reading and it will be determined how many take advantage of these two hours of quiet reading.” Another…“Feb. 1924, the children’s collection is being added to and “many old favorites are just back from the bindery ready to be reread and enjoyed.” And a final reminder to those early patrons… “If any wish to borrow a book not in the collection, we have available books from the State Library in Augusta and constantly are sending to them for books on anything from Autosuggestion to how to take the smell out of cabbage.”
Museum open Thursday, Friday, Saturday Noon-3PM, weather permitting!
In the Museum Store! *** Get your 2021 Calendars! Theme: Millinocket, Oh! How We’ve Changed! $12 each, mail orders add $5 SH each calendar. Each page has several photos from different areas of town (Society Hill, park area, Medway Rd., Outer Bates St., Across Tracks, Aroostook Ave., and more). *** Preowned yearbooks - $10.00 each. *** Matted photos, various prices – GNP mill, Little Italy, river drives, Mt. Katahdin. *** DVD’s, Little Italy Part 1 and Part 2 available at the museum ($15 each) or mail order ($15 each). ***Books: “Within Katahdin’s Realm, Log Drives and Sporting Camps” (Bill Geller) $30.00; “Logging Towboats & Boom Jumpers” (Moody) $18.00; “Tanglefoot,” (Edwards) $15.00; “Millinocket” (D. Duplisea) $20.00; “A Little Taste of History” cookbooks - $15.00; both Laverty books, $25 history & $10 architecture; “Our Real World,” (M. Murphy); “No Time for Moss (McKeen) $15.00 and several preowned books (out of print) by local authors. *** All items may be mailed – add $5 SH each item. *** For information, groups or appointments, contact Curator Trudy Wyman, 723-5477 or firstname.lastname@example.org or the Millinocket Historical Society, P. O. Box 11, on the web at www.millinockethistoricalsociety.org or on Facebook.